Integrations provide you with a way to quickly create Amplify records by importing data based on certain mapping rules. However, many a time, you'll need to make changes to existing data in bulk. Fortunately, the integrations feature allows you to nominate a lookup value to locate a certain record within Amplify to update the relevant details.
Here are the typical steps involved in the bulk update process.
- Identify a lookup field - Lookup fields should contain the unique ID or name used to identify the record you wish to update. For example, if you wish to update a few task records' task progress, the Task ID field is the most suitable choice. In case of initiative or benefit definition update, you can use their Amplify ID or external ID.
- Prepare the data and upload the file - Unlike in data creation via integrations, update process only requires the lookup field and the fields that contain updated values in the Excel file. You can create the input file from scratch or fill the updated data in the relevant columns of Configuration and FastLoad Spreadsheet, in which case, you'll have to remember to set the fields that do not contain updated data to "No Action" on the mapping interface.
- Configure the field mapping - You only need to map the updated fields along with the lookup field.
- Preview and Import.
Example Use Case
A common example is bulk updating schedule tasks. The first step is to create an input Excel file with data that you want to update.
Step1: Data Preparation
If you wish to update only the progress and the values of a custom field, the following columns of data should be present in the Excel file.
- Task ID - to be used as the lookup field
- Progress (%) - containing the updated progress value
- Custom field 1 - custom field value.
Step 2: Upload the data.
- Create an integration session.
- Click on the Run button.
- Upload the file that contains the updated data
- Click Continue.
Step 3: Field Mapping
Map the lookup field, and then the fields containing updated data. Here is a sample screenshot.
Step 4: Preview and Import
- Click Preview when you have mapped all columns. The Preview shows mapping mismatches, if any, without actually importing data into Amplify. You can cancel the import at this point, by clicking on End Session.
- Re-map faulty columns and preview until all mappings are correct. The Import button will not be enabled until all errors are corrected.
- Click Import...when all errors are corrected, and the green tick mark shows against all mapped rows.
- Click Confirm on the confirmation message that displays.
Amplify will now update all the relevant details of the matching task records.