The descriptions and how-to steps in this article are relevant to the Scheduling feature available in Amplify versions up to R20.6. They may be different if you are using R20.6 or newer versions. Please refer to the articles: An Overview of the new Gantt Interface and Managing Tasks and Milestones.
Amplify uses the Gantt chart to depict the project schedule. The left-hand side lists the name and dates for each task within the project schedule. The first line in the schedule shows the project itself. If benefits are defined for a project, they appear below all tasks as greyed out entries.
The right-hand side shows the duration of tasks. By default, the duration is represented year-wise. If your project tasks span shorter durations, click the Zoom drop-down to display a month, week, quarter, or day-wise representation of the duration.
This article discusses the following:
- How to create tasks and milestones
- How to link tasks and milestones together
- How to mark the progress of a task
- How to modify the task settings
- Local and Rolled-up views
- Updating project duration
Creating Tasks and Milestones
Tasks and milestones can be created manually on the Gantt view or imported from external systems.
Milestones in Amplify are denoted by a triangle. Typically, a Milestone shouldn’t have duration but will occur at a certain point in time. Because Amplify has the capability to convert a task (which has a duration) to a milestone, the milestone created on the project dashboard schedule will take on the tasks end date. On the project dashboard, the schedule will display a Milestones Original date which is taken as the Milestone (tasks) end date, and the Current date which portrays the Milestones current end date.
To create a new item under the project:
- Click on the + next to the initiative.
- Enter name, select start and end date of the item select the type and click on the Save button.
The + button will not be available in the Rollup view.Select Benefit Milestone checkbox, if you want to designate this task as a benefit milestone.
- Select Display on Dashboard checkbox if you want this task to be displayed in the WORKSTREAM/BENEFIT DELIVERY SCHEDULE widget on Project Dashboard.
- When you click on the + next to this item to create a new sub-item, the dates of the parent will automatically become read-only and the parent will acquire the type Project.
- To update an existing task, double-click on the task to change its settings or to remove the item. If you remove a parent, its children will be removed as well. For items of type task, you can change the dates of the task by dragging the bar or the start or endpoint of the bar to a different position.
- You can create dependencies between the items in the schedule or between items in two different schedules. Dependencies with in the same project can be drawn from the start to end or from end to start by clicking and dragging the mouse pointer. Interdependencies between tasks are indicated by connecting arrows in orange colour.
In Amplify, schedules (Master Schedule) can be created at Workstream/Business Case level as well. The tasks in the Master Schedule can then be connected to Projects within the Workstream and they will automatically be populated in the respective Project Schedules.
When you click on the + next to this item to create a new sub-item, the dates of the parent will automatically become read-only and the parent will acquire the type Project. Double-click on an item in the list to change its settings or to remove the item. If you remove a parent, its children will be removed as well.
Linking Tasks and Milestones Together
Amplify supports creating start to start, start to finish, finish to finish, or finish to start, type of associations between tasks and milestones.
To draw a connection between two tasks:
- Click on a task to see connection points at the start and end of the bar.
- Click and drag the arrow to the connection point on the target item.
Schedules also highlight Inter-project Dependencies whereby you can create dependencies between tasks in separate projects.
Marking the Progress of a Task
You can mark the progress of the tasks and milestones that you are responsible for on the Gantt chart. When you mark progress on every subtask, the Summary task shows the average progress of all child tasks.
To mark the progress on a task:
- Locate the task on the Gantt chart on the Schedule tab of your initiative.
- Point the mouse on the taskbar to see a slider.
- Point the mouse at the slider, it turns into a handle.
- Click and drag the handle until the percentage label shows the progress percentage that you want to record.
- Click Save Schedule to save your progress.
Modifying Task Settings
Double-click a task entry on the Gantt interface to display the Edit Properties form. For items of type task, you can change the dates of the task by dragging the bar or the start or endpoint of the bar to a different position.
To change a milestone item to a task item or vice versa, select the appropriate value in the Type drop-down field in the Edit Properties form. Remember a milestone item would start and end on the same day.
Local and Rolled-up Views
The Gantt chart is available in two different representations in Amplify. Depending on the default schedule type configured for your initiative classification, you could be viewing a Local or Rolled up Schedule view. You can change this default setting by selecting the suitable option in the Enable Schedule drop-down on your initiative classification settings tab in the Administration menu.
The Rolled-up view is designed to give you a general idea of the overall schedule of the current initiative, the individual progress of the initiatives and their schedules. The local view allows you to take a closer look at how the tasks and milestones directly under your current initiative are progressing.
All sub initiatives and direct tasks of the parent initiative are displayed in the Rolled-up Schedule. This is a read-only view.
The local view shows all tasks and milestones under your current initiative. It does not show the schedules of child initiatives. You can perform several actions in this view.
- Create a new task or milestone
- Define connections between tasks and milestones
- Modify tasks and milestones
- Mark progress of tasks
- Enable automatic progress summary calculation
The parent taskbar in Local view displays the progress summary calculated based on the progress marked on its child tasks and milestones. However, in Rolled up view, the parent taskbar displays the progress summary based on all summary tasks below it.
Updating Project Duration
The duration of a schedule may change when you update task duration. If milestones are linked to benefits, modifying the benefit duration also can cause the schedule duration to change. You will then want to update the project duration to match the schedule duration. The Update Duration option allows you to do this. This option will be visible only when there is a mismatch between the schedule and the project durations.
To update the project's duration:
- Go to the updated schedule page.
- Ensure that the Update Duration is selected.
- Click on the Save button.