Creating a Stage-gate approval workflow involves the same steps as other types of approval workflows.
To create a Stage-gate approval workflow:
- From the upper-right corner, click on your user name or avatar and then select Administration from the options list.
- Select the Workflows tab.
- Click on the New Stage Gate workflow button.
- This will open the New Stage Gate Workflow form.
- Click on the Enabled button to toggle it on.
- Give the workflow an appropriate name.
- In the Approved Status field, enter the approved workflow status as it will appear to the users.
- In the Pending Status field, enter the pending status.
- In the Rejected Status field, enter the rejected status.
If you want to prevent users from changing approvers, disable the Allow approvers to be modified setting. The stage-gate widget on the Performance dashboard and the Pending Approvals widget in edit approver mode will no longer show the buttons to edit or delete approvers.
- You can create multiple layers of approval. Each layer can have multiple user roles as approvers. The Approval Sequence section allows you to add approval layers and specify the type of approval and roles that can participate in the approval by default.
- Click in the Layer field and enter a name for the first layer of approval.
- Click in the Consensus for Approval drop-down field, and select what type of consensus would apply to the current layer.
- If you want all approvers to approve the request for the workflow to progress, select Unanimous. If any approver rejects, the stage-gate process will go back to the previous stage. The requestor will then be required to make the requested changes and reinitiate the approval request.
- If only one of the approvers is required to approve for the workflow to progress, select Any. If any approver rejects, the stage-gate process will go back to the previous stage.
- If you want the requestor themselves to be the sole approver of the request, select Self.
- From the roles displayed in the Roles drop-down field, select the user roles that will have the privilege to approve the workflow by default.
When the Allow approvers to be modified setting is disabled, the pre-configured roles will determine which users can approve the workflow. However, if a workflow has no roles defined in its configuration, the requester will have the option to add approvers.
- Click Add a new layer to sequence if you want to add more approval layers. If there are multiple layers of approval, the workflow is pushed to the next layer of approvers once a layer is approved. If a layer is rejected, the workflow reverts to the previous layer or the previous stage.
- Click on the Save button to create the workflow.
You will now see this new workflow in the Approval Workflow drop-down list of the Stage Gate Process Editor page.